Pages

Thursday 9 November 2017

Leprosy Writing

A Day In A Life Of A Leper


Hello, my name is Will Vallane and in 1907 I was forced to leave and go to Quail Island because I have Leprosy. I was diagnosed in 1907, the same year I moved into a small house by myself after living in a giant hospital by myself, which I hated. When I woke up in the morning I wait for Mr Thomas to come and bring my breakfast because I’m not able to make my own. There was a fence surrounding my little house to stop having physical contact with anyone because the disease is contagious. Everyday around lunch time I would always listen to music on my record player. Mr Thomas, the caretaker had to turn it on because I was unable to do it myself. I also enjoy reading illustration books  although I was losing my eyesight, I still enjoyed looking at the pretty colors. Around 6:30 I rang my friends and family on the telephone to see how they were doing. After that, Mr Thomas dropped off my dinner, cooked chicken and carrots. He also chopped some wood and put the fire on, so I wouldn’t get cold at night. At about 7 o’clock I went out onto the deck to watch the sunset go down. At 8:30, after the sunset went down, I walked back inside and got into bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.